Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Matthew has a sister named Nicole.

October 6, 2016
0230.19z
UNISYS Water Vapor GOES East Satellite (click here for 12 hour loop)

Nicole can be discerned in a parallel path with Matthew. Nicole is directly east of Matthew. It might get interesting if the two storms were to form one.

To the Americans along the east coast, including all of Florida, travel north and west when they reach I-40 in North Carolina.


In 1999, Hurricane Floyd at category 4 storm, sent Americans running for cover then. I had the interesting Mother's responsibility to keep three young adults safe and not curious when the storm hit a full day earlier than the eye's arrival. I sent two of them to Greensboro, NC which was west of Wilmington, NC in a new family car. I took a sports car which belonged to the other young adult at least fifty miles west of Wilmington and parked in a rest area in order to call the only family member still in Wilmington. He had an old Chevy pick-up truck in case he found himself in adverse conditions. The Chevy had been a family pet that was exclusively for such uses.

I called the one young adult still in Wilmington when I saw the Americans on I-40. They had license plates from Florida, Georgia and South Carolina as well as North Carolina. I told him it was time to mount the Chevy and ride hard to the west after excusing himself off work with his boss. he did that and I waited worried about the rising rivers and streams. He finally showed up and the two of us drove successfully to Greensboro. There was one area of I-40 near Raleigh that had a constant flowing amount of water across the highway that later was so flooded it became impassable.

My point is the people of the southeast states need to drive north and then west now, no different than when Hurricane Floyd hit the east coast. The water levels in 2016 will be higher. Floyd was a devastating storm that dumped so much water on Wilmington, it returned to it's island status before I-40 was built and the wetlands drained.

The people along the east coast where Matthew will cause rain at the very least need to continue to move north and west to find inland hotels that can accommodate them. The I-40 corridor goes all the way to the west coast. There is enough bed space somewhere.